Saturday, December 5, 2009

Comfort Food Day



The forecast all week was calling for rain and then snow. It is so early in the season I discounted the possibility of any snow. The day started off with rain and quickly turned to snow. All I could think about was how many days are there until spring. Instead of heading out for breakfast, it was a day inside. My little man prefers breakfast at home and he usually likes something different. He has already told me I should open a restaurant but he fails to realize I cannot run a restaurant with serving chicken nuggets with mac & cheese. For breakfast I decided to make french toast, using thick raisin bread, eggs, milk, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla extract and a splash of OJ. A side of bacon, grapes and orange juice & cranberry juice, oh I forgot a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
The snow continued well into the evening and it was time to think about dinner. Philly is definitely the home of the cheesesteak. When I lived in other places I never thought about ordering their versions of the cheesesteak. My favorite place in Philly is Geno's in the heart of South Philly. When I make cheesesteaks at home I cannot use the boxed brand of steaks(sorry), just not the real thing. Lucky for me there is a company in PA, named Landis that sells sirloin tip steaks( 0 trans fat). A cheesesteak is never complete without a good Italian roll, a Philly favorite is Amoroso's. I usually saute onions, green peppers, and red peppers with a slice of American cheese(no Cheese Whiz here). After reading snippets from the book, Eat This, Not That, steak fries are a better alternative to regular frozen fries. I serve the cheesesteaks with Ore-Ida steak fries- 9 steak fries are only 110 calories.


This is all the comfort food I can stand for one day so I hope the snow goes away tonight.












No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Grow-up Plan