Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Co-Sleeping -A Good Night's Sleep Please!


This weekend it dawned on me that my little one has become my middle of the night bedmate for the past 5 months. Shortly after the binky fairy took her binky away she insisted on sleeping together in the middle of the night.

Initially I thought it was just the transition of losing the binky. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks the transition was lasting a bit too long for mommy. I still did not insist she try to soothe herself back to sleep. When I counted the number of nights she slept through the night in her room, I realized in 5 months it was less than 5 nights.

I think this weekend was my breaking point and I needed to institute some real tough love. On Saturday, we did a bath, a book and bedtime. She went to bed with no problems however when she realized there was no more "mommy rock me to sleep" or "can I go into your room for 5 minutes" she proceeded to cry for almost 2 hours. It was tough for me to listen to her crying but I thought it was absolutely necessary. I found myself not getting a full night's sleep because every night as I relaxed she was up calling for me and wanting to come into my room. Night #2 was a little easier and she spent less time crying. When she woke up in the wee hours of the morning I told her to turn over and try to go back to sleep. I worked and she slept until our morning wake up. Night #3 was definitely easier so my fingers are crossed going forward.

Now that I am planning to transition her to a big girl bed I think we both will have a better night's sleep in the end.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

With my little prince, I'm still stuck on getting rid of the binky. But he has been telling me he's ready to go to bed and we'll read a book or 2 or 3 and he falls asleep in my bed. I may try the whole reading and going to sleep in his room instead of mine and when he falls asleep move on to my own room.

ParlinMom said...

I am still sleeping with the toddler and she will be 2 in a few weeks. I made the biggest mistake (so my mom said) of letting her sleep in our bed from about 3 months old. I have tried the bath, a story and then music to soothe her to sleep in her own bed but after a few hours (oh yes the wee middle of the night) the yelling has started and I am NOT stronger enough to just let he cry it out. I watch her on the monitor and when she starts trying to climb out of the crib I freak out and go get her. I have slept on her floor for 2 months and still nothing but my BAD back...

you are right to stop it now that you have caught on to her.

La'Tonya Richardson said...

There is nothing worse than a little one wrapped around your head, or trying to make sure you stay off of them to rob you of sleep.

I always ended up between my husband, and my youngest. They're both hot bodies, and miserable!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Grow-up Plan