Thursday, October 29, 2009

Is 40 the new 20?


This past weekend I went back to my Alma Mater, University of Pittsburgh for homecoming. My first time back since graduating was four years ago. This homecoming was historical because it marked the 40th anniversary of African American students taking over the computer center to invoke changes that addressed concerns of African American students, faculty, and administrators. For some of us it was the first time seeing one another in a number of years. What dawned on me is the fact most of us were now officially the big 4-0 and over, how time flies!

I ran into one of my college friends who I met in 2nd grade. We went to grade school, high school and college together. After college we kept in touch for a period of time and then were wrapped up in our own lives. We had not seen one another in 13 years and I asked her Did I forget to wish you happy belated 40th? or do is that a shhhh? She said no you did not, I think she wanted to keep it hush, hush. I have to remind myself each day that I have entered another age category especially when completing forms with a question for age. I remember for some time being able to check the box that had the 30-35 and then 36-39, now I have to really pay attention before answering. Oooh, that day is gone!


One thing my friend said is "40 is the new 20", is it? My body may say otherwise but I feel like a 20 year old in spirit...I also saw this phrase printed on a tshirt worn by Courtney Cox for her new ABC show, Cougar Town.
What do you think, is it the new 20? Here we are back again.........


1 comment:

*Tanyetta* said...

I am turning 40 next month. Hopefully I will continue to feel it's the new 20 :)

I am stressed out about turning 40. Why? I have NO IDEA and I need to just stop it already. I am truly blessed and have the use of all of my limbs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Grow-up Plan