Thursday, February 4, 2010

Health: First Dental Appointment


For my little diva, I usually schedule her "firsts" as I did with my little man. I remembered his first dental appointment was at the age of 3 so I scheduled her appointment 2 weeks ago.


I started to reschedule because she was not feeling so great in the beginning of the week but after her doctor's visit and 4 prescriptions later she was on the road to recovery. We spent about an 1 1/2 in the doctor's office and I insisted she take a nap in preparation for her dental appointment. The nap never happened. On the our way to the dentist's office, she fell into a deep sleep in the car, dozed off again in the waiting area and was still asleep in the dental chair. Finally, she realized it was time for her exam and woke up for the exam.

The dental hygienist worked very well with her and she finally got a burst of energy. The cleaning and examination by the dentist were uneventful much to the surprise of our dental hygienist. My little diva resisted when it was time to apply fluoride to her teeth. A little coaxing and the idea of taking home a prize made convincing her a little easier. I was really bummed because I forgot my camera and unfortunately the doctor's office did not provide a 1st time visit picture.

The dentist mentioned there is a possibility she will need orthodontic work. My little diva's teeth are very close together and in some cases this makes it difficult for the permanent teeth to come in. I had braces eons ago during middle school, yuck! All I could hear in my head was a cash register going cha-ching, cha-ching! I believe braces are somewhere around $5K. It will be worth it to keep this smile beaming!


A battery operated toothbrush is now my favorite gadget with her. It makes brushing a lot more interactive and fun.

The website for the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry has very helpful information.
FAQs

If you want to find a pediatric dentist in your area:
Pediatric Dentist Directory
>

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Grow-up Plan