Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Little Man's 9th Birthday


Labor Day is forever a memorable holiday for me. Nine years ago I went into labor on Labor Day, how ironic! Since this was my first child I was just walking around as normal and entertaining people in my home for a midday brunch. In the wee hours of the morning my water broke and I knew it was the real deal. I remember running around the driveway worrying about setting the trash out and then finally getting into the car for the forty-five minute drive to the hospital. Unfortunately I was too early to have my OB/GYN as he was still on vacation. I had to call his back-up who was confident he would see me in twelve hours since this was my first birth.

When I got to the hospital I tried to use the focusing techniques I learned in the birthing class. I felt like the room was all white walls and absolutely no aesthetics. After being examined by the nurse to ensure I was really in labor I set my au naturel plan in motion. I walked the floor, did squats in my room and went into the shower. One thing I remember about the morning was the beautiful sunrise. After my energy level dropped and I could not walk anymore I resorted to oh so comfortable hospital bed. For the doctor on call he had to leave his house four hours after my initial call; so much for him relaxing for twelve hours. The one thing I do remember as I have my legs in the stir ups in preparation for the delivery is the doctor asking me if I had a problem with the resident assisting, what was I suppose to say? Did it really matter at this point? My thoughts were-who is in there?(wanted it to be surprise) and what is this "ring of fire" really going to feel like. I don't care who is assisting, let's get this started, please!

In case you are wondering Yes, I did it au naturel, no epidural or IV. One thing I felt after my little man was delivered is Mother's Day should be every month not just in the month of May....My little man turned 9 this weekend and he still wants to be coddled by his mommy(oops, I mean mom) and he and his sister now argue about whose mommy I am..... It's hilarious! First born children definitely try to stake their territory with their siblings......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what a sweet story about his birth. Tell him I said Happy Belated Birthday.

Yakini said...

Awww, happy birthday to your first born!!! I loved this post, esp. with you reflecting back to the birth story. Did you end up delivering him au naturel?!!! Go girly!!!!

I can't even imagine Chase being "9 years old" and having siblings who he "argues" with. LOL!!! That thought cracks me up! LOL @ mommy I mean mom. Wow, these kids are too much! I know my time is coming SOON!!!

Enjoy the day!!! :-)

Melissa Miller said...

Thank you for your kind visit to my blog. I really appeciate it. You're always welcome!

Blessings to you and your son on his Birthday!
~Warmly, Melissa :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Grow-up Plan